Super Easy Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta
This creamy vegan pumpkin pasta is a healthy comfort food dream come true. Made with just simple, wholesome ingredients in under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for a flavourful weeknight dinner. Gluten-free and oil-free.
This dish turned out so flavourful, I could hardly believe it. The ingredients may be so simple and wholesome (most of them are vegetables, which is exactly how I like my food). Yet, the results are phenomenal.
The easy pumpkin sauce is made from fresh pumpkin, but you can swap this for the canned variety if you want to. There is a hint of earthiness to it and a perfect balance of sweet and savoury. Nutritional yeast, a long-term favourite ingredient of mine, adds a wonderful hint of cheesiness. When you add the sauce to the pasta, it thickens up nicely and complements the overall neutral flavour of the noodles. Finally, a handful of kale adds not only texture, but also yet another serving of vegetables!
- Frying pan
- Blender or food processor
- 7 oz gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin peeled and chopped (see notes for instructions on using canned pumpkin)
- 2/3 cup plantbased milk
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 2 cups kale de-stemmed and chopped
- Start by cooking your pasta according to packaging instructions until al dente. Drain and rinse.
- Add the onion and carrot to a saucepan filled with water and boil for 10-15 minutes, until softened. If boiling your pumpkin, add it in together with the other vegetables. (See notes on instructions for roasting the pumpkin).
- Drain the vegetables and transfer them to a blender or food processor. Add the plant-based milk, tamari, nutritional yeast, cumin and onion salt. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Pour the sauce into a frying pan and add the kale. Stir for around 2 minutes to heat up, and then stir in the pasta, cooking for a further 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- If using canned pumpkin, simply add it to the blender with the other boiled vegetables.
- If you want to roast the pumpkin, toss cubed pumpkin with some salt and then bake on a sheet of parchment paper for around 20-25 minutes, until fork tender, at 200 degrees C/400 F.
Leave a Reply